Time to go mindset
We’re fast coming to the point where it really is time to go. There will be a temptation to simply throw everything up in the air and just walk out. But we know that never ends well. When it’s time to go, it’s time to go successfully! So, here are seven important considerations for getting our headspace right when it really is time to go.Book Free Consultation here
Get the mindset right first
- Our own Counsel: Other people can be a help at times, but this is one time when we should keep out thoughts to ourselves. Even our closest friends and colleagues are likely to gossip about our dissatisfaction or plans when we’re thinking that it’s time to go. So let’s keep our ideas to ourselves, for now. Our networks will come in handy later.
- Loving ourselves: It’s not other people’s job to love us, it’s ours. We know that the time ahead will be shaky and even a little fearful. It’s our own resolve and resilience that will get us through this change when it’s time to go. So take time to truly understand what’s driving us towards a new future, rather than away from a troubled present or past.
- What matters: What really matters is our purpose in life. Sometimes it’s hard to know what our true purpose is, but it’s really easy to notice when we’re not living it! The things in our life, that we’ve valued so highly, are really just ‘stuff’. Although we get really attached to that ‘stuff’, it’s not what matters most and does not define us. Most of us can make do with much less than we think we need. When it’s time to go, it’s also time to leave ‘stuff’ behind. More importantly, it’s time to let go of our attachment to stuff and move closer into our purpose. We were made to do great things and if we’re not achieving them where we are then it really is time to go. Time to decide what our purpose is and move towards it.
- The wrong match: In the same way as ‘stuff’, we accumulate people who are simply not good for us. We instinctively know them; the negative, back-biting criticisers. We also know, in our hearts that their opinion of us is none of our business, it’s all about theirs! Now’s the time to take a moment and list out the few people who really matter to us. The rest can be moved into the ‘too hard’ pile. Yes, they’ll judge us, whether we stay or go, and so get ready to shrug them off. When it’s time to go, there will only be a few people who we’ll really want to keep in our lives (if any?) So get ready for the judgements and follow your instincts.
- Everything changes: Life begins at the edge of our comfort zone so, if we want to live our true purpose, it’s the time to go. And it’s time to push the boundaries of our comfort zone. There is no point in changing for more of the same. We all have the potential to be greater than we are today, so we simply can’t settle for “just enough” when that little “extra” could bring us closer to our purpose. Our purpose is calling and knowing that we’re moving towards it will help to keep us strong and on track through the changes to come.
- Be Flexible: When it’s time to go, everything is already in flux. Life has just become even less predictable. Now is the time for us to embrace our ‘inner gymnast’. We’’ll need to be flexible in our attitude to nearly everything – job content, status, relocation or salary. Consider just how locked in we are to the present, with all our trappings of success and status and begin explore the ‘must haves’, the ‘nice to haves’ and the ‘don’t cares’. The bigger we can make the ‘don’t care’ list, the more degrees of freedom we will allow ourselves in the big change. Even being clear about the precise time to go will count.
- Action, beyond ideas: A Vision is a daydream with a shape, a Goal is a vision with a deadline and a Plan is a Goal with some actions and resources. So, when it’s time to go, it’s time to make a plan. We can decide what needs to be done and when and how to do them. If it’s time to go, it’s time to get real.
Enjoying this series from the Epiphanies team? Why not start at the beginning and read through these amazingly practical tips for building your career resilience
Epiphanies is here to help, if you’re not sure if, or how, you want to make big changes. Our Career Straegy programme is designed specifically to help you clarify, paln and action big career changes.
Or maybe you ou simply need a slight shift in you direction or path? That’s where our Jump Start service can help. A service, with low entry threshold , that’s easy to enter, easy to keep going and easy step out whenever you’re ready. Book a free consultation today.